logo

logo

Friday, January 27, 2017

Teachers Observing Teachers: Everybody Benefits

Teachers Observing Teachers:
Everybody Benefits

First, I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me into the Lead Teacher position.  It has been a whirlwind 3 ½ weeks.  I am enjoying the times when I am able to get into classrooms, see awesome learning going on, and view your great hallway displays.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it all in my new role.

As I travel the campus, I have been reflecting on my own teaching.  I have seen so many great strategies and activities that I wish I had used in my own classroom.  To that end, I encourage everyone to get out and walk around other hallways to see what is happening.  Call a colleague and arrange to visit one of their lessons during your planning time.  I know that you will be impressed and will find something useful to use in your own classroom.

I recently found educationworld.  It is an online resource where you can find quality, in-depth articles, news briefs, lessons, and resources.  It also has a library of professional development columns, including an article titled, Teachers Observing Teachers: A Professional Development Tool for Every School.”

The article quotes several educators, administrators, and researchers.  However, what I found most interesting was how it related so well to what I have been feeling as I am interacting with our amazing staff.  …“teacher observations that serve as vehicles for professional growth rather than performance evaluations have multiple benefits -- for teachers, administrators, and the school. More and more, administrators and teachers are viewing peer observation as a form of collaborative professional development. This kind of observation can yield its greatest benefits when used as a means of sharing instructional techniques and ideologies between and among teachers.”

I thought I would share some of the benefits of observation, and if you get a chance, read the article at http://www.educationworld.com/a_admin/admin/admin297.shtml

Teachers benefit from:
*
an opportunity to engage in reflective dialogue about their work.
*
the focused classroom support.
*
improvement of classroom practices.
*
support from an "expert" (peer) who understands the daily demands of the classroom.
*
satisfaction with one's work.
*
reduced job stress, especially for the new teacher.
*
a welcoming atmosphere for new teachers.
*
the comfort of knowing that someone is available to help, explain, and assist.

Administrators benefit from:
*
the opportunity for reflective dialogue with and among teachers.
*
an increased sense of shared responsibility.
*
an increased focus on student achievement.
*
an increased trust and collegiality among staff.
*
participation in a professional and collaborative learning community.
*
a cadre of self-reliant, confident teachers who love teaching.
*
enriched teacher efficacy
*
participation in a professional and collaborative learning community.


The school benefits from:
*
increased collaboration among teachers.
*
the establishment of a professional learning community.
*
an increased focus on student achievement.
*
enthusiasm for the teaching profession.



Weekly Reminders:

Monday: 1st and 4th Data Day
Tuesday: Mr. Vernon Off Campus/ Kinder and 5th Data Day
Wednesday: 4th and 5th Writing Practice
Thursday: FLM @ 7:35/Volunteer Training/Cornelison - CHEC Field Trip
Friday: PPC 

No comments:

Post a Comment