logo

logo

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Teaching lessons through stories

Dear Deep Creek School Family, 


There is nothing like a good story and activity to help facilitate discussion among our students. Whether is be a lesson on how to stand up for oneself, how to deal with a loss, or how to be kind to others...I can always find a story to help reinforce smart decision making or to help a student cope with grief.
We, as educators, realize that not all of our students come to school equipped with the skills we think they should have. I have personally seen, through working with individual students and groups, that our students need to learn coping strategies and problem-solving skills.  My one-on-one time with students is mostly spent helping kids work out the problem, formulate attainable goals and setting a plan of action. I usually have a book on hand I can show students that pertains to their particular issue. The stories help them see that there CAN be a solution...with a little effort and practice, things can change for the better. As we know, our students come to us expecting to be taught, but not all come to us with the tools to learn, whether that be academically, socially, or emotionally. I believe we do a fantastic job everyday working together to help our students succeed in all areas.
Below are a few of my favorites, and I have many, many more in my office that you are welcome to borrow any time!



Thanks, 
Noelle 


Weekly Reminders:

Monday - McElroy off campus, District Writing Prompt
Tuesday - Spirit Night Culvers
Wednesday - 3rd Gr FSA, Fire Drill 2pm 
Thursday -  3rd Gr FSA, Thinking Maps PLC 
Friday - No School 


No comments:

Post a Comment