logo

logo

Sunday, May 15, 2016

MMM051616

Good Morning Deep Creek Family, 

Nine days that is all that is left. As everyone begins the countdown, I ask you all to think about it as 9 days left to impact the lives of a student in your room. Not all of the children in your room go home for a fun filled summer. Some of our students will do without many things you provide: breakfast and lunch, hugs, intellectual stimulation, the opportunity to be a leader, the safety of your classroom, the friendships of their peers, conversation, the opportunity to have a better life. When I was in the classroom, I remember thinking it was one or two students in my room so maybe it wasn't so bad. Now that I see things more globally, I know it is one or two in each of our classrooms. Which equals about 20% of our population. This is heartbreaking to me. Many wonder why I am so against the watching of movies at school. It is for the reasons listed above and most homes have televisions which become the babysitter to our students over the summer. Every year things happen, some of our students will not return for one reason or another. We have taught them, challenged them, now it's time to just enjoy them. Do stimulating activities with your students that you haven't been able to do. Yes keeping structure is important but hopefully some of the pressure is lifted. Please take the next 9 days to be THAT PERSON to your students. 
I do understand that we all need a break. I just ask that you take into consideration the things I said above and make the most of the last nine days. 

Thanks for all you do, 
Adrienne 

No comments:

Post a Comment