logo

logo

Friday, August 7, 2015

One Mission, One Voice, One Team

Dear Deep Creek Family,


We are well on our way to another great year here at Deep Creek. Seeing all of your rooms come together in such a short amount of time always amazes me and gives me such a tingle of excitement in the coming of a new school year.  You all work so hard to put the finishing touches on walls and desks so that our parents and students feel warm and welcome.  I too have made some little changes to my room/office, but its not the same kind of job.  I don't have the large amount of space or the desks or the upkeep that you all have as teachers, however, I did work hard to make my space look inviting and appealing.  
All of us work hard at what we do as educators as do our kids.  Sometimes, the behavior of a student indicates that he is not working hard, or not doing his best, or not putting in the effort.  For a variety of reasons, some which are unknown, a student seems unmotivated...he lacks initiative or drive.  I feel this way some days, don't you?  If you felt unmotivated, what would be your "pick me up"?  I know what would motivate me..chocolate! Seriously, a little praise is a terrific motivator. Kids LOVE to be praised... I don't know a single kid who doesn't like to be told he has done something well.  Vince Lombardi said, "Praise publicly, criticize privately".  We know the science behind this and we discussed these words during our program planner luncheon as well--when we use sincere and specific praise and encouragement, we can alter behavior. Encouraging children gives them the courage to try new behaviors. Praising them invites them to repeat the positive behaviors that you praised. While criticism reduces confidence, encouragement and praise help our children succeed.
This is going to be a great year! Our kids are going to be confident learners and leaders. Those who need our encouragement to try just need a little more praise!


One mission, one voice, one team. 

Have a wonderful week!
Noelle

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love that quote. Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete